- Total Time: 1 hours 15 mins
- Hands-on Time: 30 mins
- Serves 6 to 8
This winning vegetarian taco casserole piles vegetables on the hefty texture of bulgar, adds flavor with Southwest Taco seasoning and red pepper flakes.
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper 1.59 oz.
- 1 package Simply Organic Southwest Taco Seasoning Mix 1.13 oz.
- 1 3/4 cups bulgur
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 large onion)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup mushroom broth, divided
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey jack cheese, divided
- 18 tostada shells
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine bulgur with 3 1/2 cups water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, turn the heat down to low, cover, and simmer for 12 minutes. Drain to remove any excess water and set aside in a large bowl.
3. Meanwhile, sauté the diced onions in olive oil over medium-high heat for 3 minutes until slightly browned. Transfer to the bulgur bowl along with the taco seasoning, red pepper flakes, cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cup of the mushroom broth, and 4 ounces of shredded Monterey jack cheese.
4. Arrange a layer of 6 tostada shells in the bottom of a 13 x 9 ceramic or glass baking dish. Lay one third of the bulgur mixture down on top of the layer of tostada shells. Repeat with remaining tostada shells and bulgur mixture to form three layers. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup mushroom broth evenly over the top of the assembled casserole.
5. Top with remaining 4 ounces of shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove the foil and return to the oven for another 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
6. Top with sliced scallions and cilantro.