A delectable vegan macaroni and cheese that’s every bit as creamy and loaded with flavor, featuring a butternut-squash-based sauce that’s uniquely spiced with hints of nutmeg, cayenne and sage.
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Garlic Powder 3.64 oz.
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Mustard Seed, ground 3.07 oz.
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Nutmeg Ground 2.30 oz.
- 1/8 (or more to taste) teaspoons Simply Organic Cayenne Pepper 2.89 oz.
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Ground Turmeric Root 2.38 oz.
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Sage Leaf Ground 1.41 oz.
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 12 ounces orecchiette pasta
1. In a vegetable steamer or pot with a steamer basket, steam butternut squash for about 10 minutes, until soft.
2. Meanwhile, in a sauté pan, add olive oil and chopped onion. Cook for about 10 minutes, until softened and caramelized.
3. Add garlic and cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
4. Into a blender, add squash, onion and garlic mixture, vegetable broth, cashew milk, tamari, garlic powder, mustard, nutmeg, cayenne, turmeric and salt, and puree until smooth.
5. In a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
6. Add butternut squash sauce to pasta and mix well.
7. Add dried sage, stirring to distribute, and serve.