- Total Time: 1 hours
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
Sweet potato nachos are a healthier take on the classic Mexican-food appetizer. These nutrient-packed nachos feature shredded chicken elevated with our Carnitas Slow Cook Sauce and a cilantro-lime avocado sauce for an incredibly satisfying bite.
- 1½ teaspoons Simply Organic Cumin Seed Ground 2.31 oz.
- ½ teaspoons Simply Organic Chili Powder 2.89 oz.
- 1 Simply Organic Carnitas Slow Cook Sauce 8.00 fl. oz.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 potatoes), sliced ⅛-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- ¾ teaspoons sea or pink Himalayan salt, divided
- 1 ear sweet corn, shucked (or ½ cup kernels)
- ½ pounds cooked organic boneless, skinless chicken breast, shredded
- 1 avocado, peeled and seeded
- ¼ cups packed fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- ½ jalapeño pepper, roughly chopped
- ½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cups canned, no-salt-added black beans
- ¼ cups chopped scallions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, toss sliced sweet potatoes with oil, 1 teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon salt, and chili powder. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheets.
3. Bake for 10 minutes, flip potato slices and bake 10 to 20 minutes more, until edges are just starting to brown and sweet potatoes are crisp. Pull individual chips out as they start to brown and crisp.
4. Meanwhile, cut corn kernels from cob and transfer to a bowl with 1 tablespoon water. Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
5. In a medium-size skillet over medium heat, combine shredded chicken and slow cook sauce. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, until sauce is absorbed. Remove from heat.
6. Make the sauce In a food processor, combine avocado, cilantro, lime zest, 2 tablespoons lime juice, jalapeño, 2 tablespoons water, remaining ½ teaspoon cumin, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Process until smooth; adding additional water by tablespoon if needed until desired consistency is reached. Set aside.
7. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Arrange sweet potato chips in a single layer on one baking sheet. Sprinkle cheese over chips, followed by corn, chicken mixture, black beans and scallions.
8. Bake for 6 to 10 minutes, until cheese has melted. Transfer to a serving plate and serve with avocado sauce.
1. For evenly sized sweet potato slices thin enough to crisp up in the oven, use a mandolin slicer or food processor with slicing blade.
2. For a spicier avocado sauce, use a whole jalapeño. For a more mild sauce be sure to remove the ribs and seeds of the jalapeño. Or if preferred, omit the jalapeño. Mild green chilies can be substituted for more flavor.