- Total Time: 1 hours 30 mins
- Hands-on Time: 30 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
This New Orleans-inspired seafood gumbo stew is big on taste and easy on prep thanks to our gumbo seasoning. Serve it over a fluffy bed of quinoa.
- 1 package Simply Organic Jambalaya Seasoning Mix 0.74 oz.
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Cayenne Pepper 2.89 oz.
- 1 pinch Simply Organic Black Pepper Medium Grind 2.31 oz.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups red, orange and green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and divined
- 1 pound cooked blue crab meat
- 1 cup frozen chopped okra
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 sprinkle Frontier Gumbo File Powder, for garnish
- 1 pinch Frontier Sea Salt
1. Combine the flour and vegetable oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat and cook, whisking constantly, until dark brown, about 10 minutes. Carefully add the bell peppers, seasoning packet and cayenne. Give it a good stir and cook for 5 minutes or until the peppers begin to soften. Add the tomatoes and chicken broth; bring the mixture to a boil.
2. Add the shrimp and boil until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the crabmeat and reduce the heat, simmer for 30 minutes or until the gumbo has reduced and thickened slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
3. Serve over quinoa and garnish with fresh parsley and file powder if desired.