- Total Time: 1 hours 20 mins
- Hands-on Time: 30 mins
Roasted red pepper, goat cheese and a host of organic spices bring robust flavor to this lasagna roll ups recipe.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Simply Organic Garlic Powder 3.64 oz.
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper Medium Grind 2.31 oz.
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Oregano Leaf 0.75 oz.
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Basil 0.54 oz.
- 3/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper 1.59 oz.
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- parsley, freshly chopped and Parmesan cheese, grated (for garnish, optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1 ounce package soft chèvre goat cheese (allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, if possible so it’s easier to work with)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 14.5 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted
FOR THE FILLING
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a pot of boiling water, cook noodles for 3 to 4 minutes, just until soft enough to handle and roll. Run the noodles under cold water and lay out on kitchen towels.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Add the spinach and continue to cook for 2 to 3 more minutes, until spinach is wilted.
5. Remove from heat and set aside.
6. In a large bowl, combine goat cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon garlic, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the mushroom and spinach mixture.
FOR THE SAUCE
1. In a blender, combine diced tomatoes, onion, roasted pepper, oregano, basil, 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt and pulse for about 60 seconds, until well blended and only slightly chunky.
1. Onto the bottom of a 9x13 pan, spoon a few tablespoons of sauce, just enough to add a barrier between the roll-ups and pan.
2. Onto each lasagna noodle, spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of the goat cheese and greens mixture. Roll up the noodles.
3. Add the lasagna roll-ups to the pan and top with remaining sauce. Top the sauce with mozzarella cheese.
4. Bake the roll-ups for 25 to 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melted. Serve warm.
TO ROAST THE PEPPER
1. On a baking sheet lined with foil, place the bell pepper and roast the whole pepper for 15 to 20 minutes, until the skin has brown spots.
2. Flip the pepper onto the other side and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, until the skin has brown spots.
3. Remove the hot pepper from the oven, cover with a bowl and allow to steam to loosen the skin.
4. After 10 minutes, remove the pepper from underneath bowl. Seed, peel the black from the skin and cut the pepper into quarters.
For a smoother sauce, substitute 14 1⁄4-ounce can diced tomatoes for 28-ounce can diced tomatoes.To give the cheese on the roll-ups a “crusty” look and flavor, turn on the broiler for the last 1 to 2 minutes of baking.To reduce roasting time for the pepper, use a broiler. Be sure to turn the pepper every few minutes and watch it closely so it doesn’t burn.