- Total Time: 55 mins
- Hands-on Time: 40 mins
- Makes: 4 to 6 servings
In this rustic, vegetarian main dish, cubes of eggplant rest in a garlic-peppery marinade and are cooked down with tomatoes, garlic, onions and capers, creating an aromatic, simple sauce to fold into your favorite pasta.
- 1 package Simply Organic Peppercorn Garlic Marinade Mix 1.00 oz.
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 eggplant (about 3/4-pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped plum or Roma tomatoes, or one 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Crushed Red Pepper, plus extra for finishing
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh, chopped Italian parsley, plus extra for finishing
- 1 pound linguine or spaghetti
- 1/3 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, optional
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together marinade mix, all the water, ¼ cup olive oil and the vinegar.
2. Add eggplant, stir to coat, and cover. Let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. In a large sauté pan, heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
4. Add eggplant, tomatoes and capers. Increase heat to medium and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, until eggplant is softened and sauce starts to thicken.
5. Fold in crushed red pepper, salt and parsley.
6. Meanwhile, in a large pot, cook pasta according to package instructions.
7. Drain linguini, reserving 2 tablespoons pasta water. Toss linguini with remaining pasta water, and gently fold pasta into sauce.
8. Serve in individual bowls and top with additional chopped parsley and crushed red pepper. Finish with freshly grated Parmesan, if desired.