- Total Time: 35 mins
- Hands-on Time: 5 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
Packed with flavor, this green shakshuka recipe is a Mexican take on the classic African and Middle Eastern dish. Featuring our delicious green enchilada sauce and canned chickpeas, this easy vegetarian shakshuka is perfect for busy weeknights.
1 package Simply Organic Green Enchilada Simmer Sauce 8.00 fl. oz.
1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper Medium Grind 2.31 oz.
2 teaspoons olive or avocado oil
2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped kale, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
2 cans (15.5 ounces each) no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
8 large pasture-raised eggs
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1/3 cup Cotija cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a 10-inch cast-iron or nonstick, ovenproof skillet, heat oil to medium-high. Add kale and sauté 2 minutes.
3. Add simmer sauce and 1 can chickpeas, and bring to a simmer. Using a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon, lightly mash chickpeas.
4. Add second can of chickpeas and simmer 5 minutes.
5. Remove skillet from heat and form 8 wells in sauce with back of spoon. Carefully crack one egg into each well and season with pepper.
6. Transfer skillet to oven and bake for about 20 minutes, until egg whites are set and yolks are still soft. Remove skillet from oven, top with avocado and Cotija, and serve.
in this recipe
Recipe created by Simply Organic