Vietnamese-style braised beef short ribs with onions, garlic, carrots and yellow potatoes, spiced and garnished with organic five spice powder, cilantro, mint and Thai basil.
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Five Spice Powder 2.01 oz.
- 4 large bone-in beef short ribs (about 4 to 5 pounds)
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- tablespoons oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 to 3 cups low sodium beef stock
- 3 to 4 small yellow potatoes, peeled and halved (optional)
- Cilantro, mint and Thai basil, freshly chopped, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Season all sides of the ribs generously with salt and pepper.
3. In a dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add ribs until brown on all sides, then move to a plate.
4. Turn the heat down to medium and add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring for 1 minute, then add the ribs back to the pot. Add the carrots, rice vinegar, sugar, fish sauce and five spice powder.
5. Add beef stock, just enough to barely cover the vegetables. Bring to a simmer, cover and place in the over.
6. Cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until the beef is fork-tender. 1 to 1/2 hours into cooking, add potatoes, if desired.
7. Remove the ribs and carrots and place on a serving platter. Cover with foil to retain warmth.
8. Strain liquid and skim off fat. Into a saucepan over medium-high heat, pour liquid to reduce slightly. Pour over the ribs and garnish with cilantro, mint and Thai basil. Serve warm.